TillVAS Till Valley Archaeological Society
TillVAS             Till Valley Archaeological Society

                              Home

Welcome to the website of the

Till Valley Archaeological Society (TillVAS)

Patron: Rt. Hon. Lord Joicey

 

Hon. President: Dr. Chris Burgess

The Society's core aim is

"To encourage and promote the study of the archaeology, heritage and history of the catchment area of the River Till and the eastern Border lands of England and Scotland".

This years James IV lecture was entitled 'HENRY VIII's Mary Rose- FROM SEABED TO SHOWCASE' and given by Dr Alex Hildred. The subject proved very popular and the hall was almost full. Everyone very much enjoyed the talk, learned a great deal and immediately made plans to visit the wonderful museum which now houses the Mary Rose. Our thanks go to everyone who helped organise the day and to all of those who attended. Special thanks to Dr Hildred for making the long journey north and giving us such an enjoyable lecture.

 

We would like to share with you our interest in and enthusiasm for, everything to do with the history of the Till Valley and its river catchment, in north Northumberland, together with the eastern Border lands, once known as the English and Scottish Marches.

 

< Please click on the tabs on the top left-hand side of this page to learn about the Society and its activities.

 

 

Photo-River Till, looking south from Twizel Bridge

 

The website has a dual purpose:-

Firstly, we wish to reach as wide an audience as possible so that, hopefully, those interested will want to attend meetings, excursions, archaeological 'digs', field walking and social occasions and become members of the Society.

Secondly, the intention is to keep members up-to-date with all the latest news and to inform them on what has happened, what is happening and what is planned for the future.

 

The Till Valley and the eastern Borders are rich in history and archaeological sites, set in attractive and varied landscapes. The River Till rises high up in the Cheviot Hills and is named the River Breamish in its upper reaches, becoming the River Till at Bewick Mill. It is a major tributary of the River Tweed and, unlike other tributaries, its course lies entirely in England. It is a long river, perhaps 40 miles, although it is difficult to be precise because of its many twists and turns before it finally flows into the River Tweed at Tillmouth.                      

                                                                                                            

All photos on this and other pages © TillVAS or members who have given permission.

TillVAS is a not-for-profit organisation recognised as charitable by HMRC.

TillVAS is on Twitter and Facebook

The counter below shows the number of visitors to the website since October 2013:-

Print Print | Sitemap
© TillVAS

News

TillVAS is looking for volunteers to help with research. Please see archaeology page for details.

A volunteer at the Shakespeare Hospice Book Shop, Stratford-upon-Avon has told us of a copy of  Volume 14 of “The History of Northumberland” edition edited by Madeleine Hope Dodds and published by Andrew Reid & Co in 1935.  This volume covers the parishes of:  Alnham, Chatton, Chillingham, Eglingham, Ilderton, Ingram and Whittingham.  It has some sun fading of the spine but is otherwise a clean and bright copy.

 The price is £200.00 but they are open to offers.  The purchaser would be helping to support an important Stratford-upon-Avon charity.

The next BAS  lecture on Monday 3rd December will be delivered by Clive Waddington at the Berwick Parish Centre.  "Plunging climate and tsunami impacts on the Mesolithic population of northern Britain"

Bowsden History Group Monday 3rd December at 7.30, Winter Social. You are invited to share your memories, photos and momentoes from 1968 - a year which pundits claim to ave changed history.

For details of a new rock art project 'CARE' please see Other projects page.

Data Protection - please see the new TillVAS policy statement on the membership page

TillVAS ARCHIVES

The Society has an extensive collection of documents and photographs held in its secure archives. These are invaluable for members wishing to study the local history of the area or wishing to gather information for e.g. the  Village Atlas Project. Please click on the tag above to see the catalogues. Anyone wishing to access the archives should contact the Society's Archivist, Maureen Charlton or the Assistant Archivist, Julia Day.

MEMBERS' WRITTEN CONTRIBUTIONS

Please see a new section on the website—click on the appropriate tab above.  Please let us have your thoughts, in prose or in verse.

BRANXTON & CROOKHAM VILLAGE ATLAS PROJECT

 

Please click on the Latest Newsletter page to see information for the current month.

PREVIOUS LECTURE AND OTHER REPORTS

Click on Reports on Events, above, for detailed accounts and press reports.

BOOKSTALL

The Society operates a bookstall at all its meetings.

Items for sale include:-

1. The Society's first publication Breamish and Till: From Source to Tweed at £10 per copy and

2. Vivian Wilcock's Andrew Todd 1844-1908 ( with research input by TillVAS members) at £5 per copy.

See the Publications page for more about these books. Copies of Breamish and Till are also available in Cornhill Village Shop and the Lavender Tea Rooms and Village Shop in Etal.

 

There are also archaeological books and journals for sale. Net proceeds of sale go to TillVAS funds.