TillVAS Till Valley Archaeological Society
TillVAS             Till Valley Archaeological Society

Latest Newsletter - September 2017

 

Patron: Rt. Hon. Lord Joicey                                             www.tillvas.com                                       

Hon. President   : Dr. Chris Burgess                                

Our 2017-18 programme kicks off again on

 

Wednesday, 6th September, at 7.30 pm in Crookham Village Hall

when Maria Chester will address us on archaeological evidence for cocaine  use in the Americas.

 

 

Samples are unlikely to be on offer, but a fascinating topic itself promises    ample stimulation!

 

Please note: Ford Bridge is due to be closed from 9pm; we will try to ensure the meeting finishes promptly, but be prepared for a scenic detour!

Our annual James IVth memorial lecture will take place on Sunday 8th October starting at 2.30 in Etal Village Hall.

Our guest speaker this year is Jordan Evans, from the Royal Household, taking as his theme Mary Queen of Scots

Tickets priced at £5 are available now and can be bought at our next meeting, from our stand at Etal Show (Sunday, 3rd October) or by sending a cheque, payable to ‘TillVAS’, with s.a.e., to our Secretary, Maureen Charlton, East Flodden Cottage, Milfield, WOOLER, NE71 6JF

 

 

 

Visit to Eyemouth Museum and Fort

Wednesday 20th September

 

Gathering at 11.00 am at Eyemouth Museum, for an opportunity to experience a virtual reality tour of the Fort and view the Museum’s displays, then continuing to the Eyemouth Holiday Park for a spot of refreshment in their refurbished café, before progressing at approx. 1 pm to the magnificently situated site of the adjacent Fort*, whose position is now even easier to appreciate, thanks to the attentions of a ride-on mower!

 

(*) A (Trace Italienne) Fort was initially constructed on the headland south of Eyemouth in 1547 by English soldiers during the ‘Rough Wooing’ and demolished three years later. In 1557 French soldiers erected another structure on the site, which, in turn, was demolished in 1560, following the signing of the Treaty of Cateau-Cambrésis. More recently the Friends of Eyemouth Fort, with the assistance of the University of St. Andrews, have thoroughly researched the site, with a view to ensuring its importance and heritage are more widely appreciated, particularly since the headland is under constant threat of coastal erosion.

 

Parking is available close to the Museum and at the Holiday Park; toilets are also available

 

     Numbers are limited for this visit: if you would like to join us on 20th September, and haven’t already done so, please let Maureen know as soon as possible

MARDON DIG, 29th  August to 9th September

Visitors to the site are welcome on any day between 2nd and 7th  September. Please follow the signs from Mardon road ends, and park only in the dig field. Please do not park in the lane, because harvest vehicles need access.  Above all, please take care: this is a busy working farm

 

SORRY! No dogs on the site, please!

 

More information: Heather Pentland (heather@hjpentland.plus.com)

Print Print | Sitemap
© TillVAS

News

A new list of photographs of Branxton have been added to the archives.

 

See Archaeology News for information about our dig at Mardon

 

Congratulations to Ford School! See 'Village Atlas News' for details or  follow the link to the Berwickshire Advertiser for more details. http://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/news/heritage-heroes-are-the-first-in-england-1-4519447

ADVANCE NOTICE OF 2017 SUMMER EXCAVATION

Some very good news!

Please click on Archaeology News, above

FLODDEN 1513 WEBSITE

This website continues in a new format and is being kept up-to-date with information about the battle, the ecomuseum, the 41 sites on the network and much more. Please click on the Links page, above, in order to access the site. There is also information about 'The Way Ahead' on the Archaeology page, above.

TillVAS ARCHIVES

The Society has an extensive collection of documents and photographs held in its secure archives. These are invaluable for members wishing to study the local history of the area or wishing to gather information for e.g. the  Village Atlas Project. Please click on the tag above to see the catalogues. Anyone wishing to access the archives should contact the Society's Archivist, Maureen Charlton or the Assistant Archivist, Julia Day.

MEMBERS' WRITTEN CONTRIBUTIONS

Please see a new section on the website—click on the appropriate tab above.  Please let us have your thoughts, in prose or in verse.

BRANXTON & CROOKHAM VILLAGE ATLAS PROJECT

There are some important meetings of the Activity Groups scheduled over the next few months. Please click on the appropriate tag above, which will take you to the Village Atlas page and give you all the dates, times and places of the meetings.

ALL MEMBERS OF THE LOCAL COMMUNITY, TILLVAS MEMBERS AND MEMBERS OF OTHER ATLAS GROUPS ARE ALSO WELCOME TO ATTEND ANY OF THESE MEETINGS (except the Steering Committee).

Please click on the Latest Newsletter page to see information for the current month.

PREVIOUS LECTURE AND OTHER REPORTS

Click on Reports on Events, above, for detailed accounts and press reports.

BOOKSTALL

The Society operates a bookstall at all its meetings.

Items for sale include:-

1. The Society's first publication Breamish and Till: From Source to Tweed at £10 per copy and

2. Vivian Wilcock's Andrew Todd 1844-1908 ( with research input by TillVAS members) at £5 per copy.

See the Publications page for more about these books. Copies of Breamish and Till are also available in Cornhill Village Shop and the Lavender Tea Rooms and Village Shop in Etal.

 

There are also archaeological books and journals for sale. Net proceeds of sale go to TillVAS funds.